The topic of hair loss has long been a cause of concern for both men and women. One of its most frequent causes is related to hereditary patterns and is known as androgenic alopecia. It is so named because it is related to the increased action of male hormones, also known as androgens. Its act, especially dihydrotestosterone (DHT), on certain areas of the scalp genetically predisposed to the condition. Here we discussed about dht blocker foods which will prevent hair loss.
Foods that block DHT
When people begin to see signs that they are possibly losing hair, usually take one of the following three options or any combination of them:
- The first is that they go out quickly to seek medical help by going to his / her office to prescribe pills like finasteride or minoxidil;
- Second, seek help with the use of herbs, oils or seeds in creams or shampoos in topical treatments;
- Or, third, take some of the products made with natural substances, also known as natural DHT blockers.
But the truth is that part of the solution could be closer and easier than it seems. There are many foods in the nature that have the components (nutrients or minerals) needed to help to stop hair loss.
But first, let's see a little bit how this DHT blocker works. The Dihydrotestosterone (DHT), is a derivative of testosterone, by the action of an enzyme, the 5 -alpha-reductase. Its function is associated with the development of secondary male characters. The DHT has effects on the prostate gland, increasing its size, and on the hair follicles. After puberty, its action on the hair follicles produces what the experts call "miniaturization of the follicle", And may eventually lead to baldness, depending on hereditary factors.
This is the reason that many researchers have dedicated themselves to studying the DHT blocker, which acts either by inhibiting the enzyme responsible for transforming testosterone into DHT or by blocking the DHT receptors, which are found, among other parts, in the hair follicles.
Many nutritionists have spent thousands of hours working and researching to evaluate what would be the foods that block DHT naturally.
DHT blocker food list
The reality is that there are many foods that can help stop hair loss, thanks to its mineral components, amino acids, and vitamins, but today's accelerated living standards mean that our food is based more on carbohydrates (sugars) than on any of the other nutrients, causing, with them, increased levels of blood glucose and increased work for the pancreas.
Another important aspect that influences the type of diet is the economic factor since it is always cheaper to consume products with a high carbohydrate content than to buy fruits, vegetables or meat products (white or lean).
I must make it clear that carbohydrates are indispensable for life, they are the fuel, therefore, it should not be completely eliminated its consumption, besides that seems to be impossible.
So, my first recommendation is that you change your eating habits, favoring a balanced diet, with high consumption of minerals and vitamins, many of which in turn act as DHT blocker food .
For that, I have prepared this list of foods that naturally block DHT. I have divided them a little empirically to be able to better scheme them,
Best dht blocker Food for Hair Loss Prevention
- Seeds: almond, cashew, pecans, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, wheat germ, walnuts;
- Oils: olive, coconut;
- Fruits: banana, mango, watermelon, avocado;
- Vegetable: carrot, tomato, white mushrooms;
- Green vegetables: kale, swiss chard, green tea, spinach;
- Products derived from animals: egg yolks, liver;
- Sea products: oyster, tuna;
Let's review now the reasons why they are important in the diet, what nutrients they bring and what action they do to block DHT:
- Almonds, pecans, peanuts, walnuts, are rich in L-lysine, a potent amino acid DHT inhibitor.
- Bananas, egg yolks, peanuts, tuna, are natural suppliers of biotin that helps decrease the metabolism of testosterone to DHT.
- Cashews, kale, oysters, pumpkin seeds, white mushrooms, wheat germ, are an excellent source of zinc, a potent natural inhibitor of DHT.
- Carrots, tomatoes, mangoes, and watermelons, have a large amount of lycopene, a natural inhibitor of 5 alpha reductase.
- The liver has a large amount of vitamin A, another potent natural inhibitor of 5 alpha reductase.
- Swiss chard, green tea, spinach, are well known for their high vitamin E content and antioxidant and rejuvenating effects.
- Avocado is the best natural source of beta-sitosterol, an alcohol capable of inhibiting the enzyme 5 alpha reductase, preventing the formation of DHT.
- Olive oil and coconut oil, even though their topical uses are the best known of them, because of their antifungal effects, however, their high content of unsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E, make them powerful antioxidants, with their consequent rejuvenating effects.
In addition, most of these foods have plenty of vitamins A, B, C, and E which also help hair growth through its antioxidant and DHT inhibitors effects.
The trick is to eat a balanced diet, giving priority to all those natural foods, that is to say low processed, high in vitamins and minerals and also provide essential amino acids, such as Lysine.
An example for a meal that includes these anti dht foods that help us to decrease hair loss is:
- First plate: Mash soup with swiss chard;
- Second plate: baked tuna with tomato and onion;
- Companion: Carrot, tomato, white mushrooms and almond salad;
- Dessert: fruit salad that includes banana, watermelon, and blueberries.
- Drink: watermelon Juice.
- Entry: half a dozen Oysters with lemon.
- First plate: cream of tomatoes.
- Second plate: Liver in tomatoes sauce and onion, baked with olive oil.
- Companion: Stir-fry kale with garlic, garnished with olive oil.
- Dessert: fruit salad that includes mango and banana.
- Drink: Mango juice.
But the DHT blocker food cannot only be consumed in the strong meals, also in a balanced breakfast. You can prepare a pair of whole eggs, accompanied with fruits (banana and blueberries) and a slice of toast, accompanied with mango or watermelon juice.
For snack times, you can eat pumpkin seeds, peanuts or cashews instead of cakes or bread.
My first recommendation for people who are losing hair is to consult a doctor, preferably a specialist (dermatologist), to investigate the possible causes that are producing it. Once the cause is determined, the doctor can place the appropriate treatment to deal with any of them, for example, thyroid problems, psychological factors, or any other.
My second recommendation is to check your diet and start as soon as possible a proper diet and above all balanced, favoring natural foods with high vitamin, minerals and essential amino acids content and reducing the number of carbohydrates consumed.